Senator Abubakar Kyari was born on the 1 January 1960 in Borno State. His father was Late Brigadier Abba Kyari – Former military administrator to North Central from 1967 to 1975. He has eight siblings. He was educated in both Nigeria and United States of America. He attended Kaduna Capital School in 1974. He then proceeded to Barewa College Zaria where he obtained his WASSCE In 1979. He attended the University of Tennessee Martin in USA where he obtained a bachelor’s degree in 1986. Thereafter in 1989, he attended Webster University St.Louis Missouri USA for his Masters in Business Administration. Kyari was elected to be a member of the Borno State House of Representatives under the defunct United Nigeria Congress Party (UNCP) in 1998. He represented his constituency at the National House of Assembly on the platform of the defunct All Peoples Party (APP) between 1999 -2003. From 2003 to 2005, he was made a Honorable Commissioner in Borno State and also from 2007 to 2011 he continued as a Honorable Commissioner. In the 2015 elections, he contested for the Borno North Senatorial seat and won under the platform of the All Progressives Congress.
ABUBAKAR KYARI, SENATOR REPRESENTING BORNO NORTH SENATORIAL DISTRICT OF BORNO STATE was born 59 years ago. Precisely on 15 January 1963.
He attended Capital School Kaduna for his primary education from 1968 to 1974, and Barewa College Zaria for his secondary education from 1974 to 1979.
Kyari obtained a bachelor’s degree (B.Sc.) in Economics from the University of Tennessee, in 1986 and a Master of Business Administration (MBA) with emphasis on Finance from Webster University, St. Louis Missouri, USA in 1989.
Senator Kyari’s political career started in 1996 when he became a founding member and Protem National Secretary of United Nigeria Congress (UNC), which eventually became the United Nigeria Congress Party (UNCP).
He was subsequently elected and appointed to the underlisted political positions over a period of 26 years.
1) Elected to the House of Representatives (UNCP) 1998
2) State Treasurer All Peoples Party APP Borno State 1998 – 1999
3) Re-Elected to the House of Representatives (APP) 1999 – 2003
4) Hon Commissioner Water Resources, Borno State 2003 – 2005
5) MD Rural Water Supply Agency, Borno State 2005 – 2007
6) Hon Commissioner Education, Borno State 2007 – 2008
7) Hon Commissioner Water Resources, Borno State 2008 – 2010
8) Hon Commissioner Home Affairs and Information 2010 – 2011
9) Hon Commissioner Works 2011 – 2011
10) Chief of Staff, Government House Borno State 2011 – 2014
11) Elected Senator Federal Republic of Nigeria (APC) 2015 – 2019
12) Re-Elected Senator (APC) 2019 – date
With wealth of experience in government and politics, especially since the return of democracy in Nigeria in 1999, Most Distinguish Senator Abubakar Kyari is well positioned for the task as the Deputy National Chairman of the All Progressive Congress, APC to champion a new beginning for the party.
Married for 32 years, Senator Abubakar Kyari is blessed with 4 children and a grandson.